A Nature Photographer’s Best Friend
The Lumix G9 is the perfect camera for wildlife and nature photographers. Super-fast shooting means keeping up with fast-moving subjects- learn how it can help you apture stunning nature shots.
A Camera to Catch Every Moment
The Lumix G9 is the perfect camera for wildlife photography. With the world’s fastest AF* and fastest in-class burst shooting**, capturing the breath-taking beauty of a location like Madagascar is a dream. In this video, wildlife photographer Joakim Odelberg demonstrates how the G9 allows him to respond to photographic opportunities as they happen. See how it can help you capture your passion, whatever you shoot and wherever you go.
*In 1-Area AF, at wide-end with H-ES12060 (CIPA) in LVF120 fps setting. As a Compact System Camera as of November 8, 2017.
**With H-ES12060. As a Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera, as of November 8, 2017.
- Type: Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera
- Recording media: SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card/(Compatible with UHS-I / UHS-II UHS Speed Class 3 standard SDHC / SDXC Memory Cards)
- Image sensor size: 17.3 x 13.0 mm (in 4:3 aspect ratio)
- Lens mount: Micro Four Thirds mount
- Type: Live MOS Sensor
- Total pixels: 21.77 Megapixels
- Camera effective pixels: 20.33 Megapixels
- Colour filter: Primary colour filter
- Dust reduction system: Supersonic wave filter
- IMAGE STABILIZATION SYSTEM: Image sensor shift type (5-axis / 6.5-stop*), Dual I.S. (Dual I.S. 2 compatible)/*Based on the CIPA standard [Yaw/Pitch direction: focusing distance f=60mm (35mm camera equivalent f=120mm), when H-ES12060 is used.
- Still image: JPEG (DCF, Exif 2.31), RAW
- 6K PHOTO** / 4K PHOTO**: 6K PHOTO: MP4 (H.265/HEVC, Audio format: AAC (2ch))/4K PHOTO: MP4 (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, Audio format: AAC (2ch))
- Motion picture: MP4: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC (Audio format: LPCM (2ch 48kHz/16-bit), AAC (2ch))/AVCHD Progressive, AVCHD (Audio format: Dolby Audio 2ch)
- Aspect ratio: 4:3, 3:2, 16:9, 1:1
- Image quality: RAW, RAW+Fine, RAW+Standard, Fine, Standard
- Color Space: sRGB, AdobeRGB
- File size (Pixels) -Still Image
- 4:3 5184x3888(L) / 3712x2784(M) / 2624x1968(S) / 10368x7776(XL)* / 7296x5472(LL)* / 4992x3744(6K PHOTO) / 3328x2496(4K PHOTO) *High Resolution Mode.
- 3:2 5184x3456(L) / 3712x2480(M) / 2624x1752(S) / 10368x6912(XL)* / 7296x4864(LL)* / 5184x3456(6K PHOTO) / 3504x2336(4K PHOTO) *High Resolution Mode.
- 16:9 5184x2920(L) / 3840x2160(M) / 1920x1080(S) / 10368x5832(XL)* / 7296x4104(LL)* / 3840x2160(4K PHOTO) *High Resolution Mode.
- 1:1 3888x3888(L) / 2784x2784(M) / 1968x1968(S) / 7776x7776(XL)* / 5472x5472(LL)* / 2880x2880(4K PHOTO) *High Resolution Mode.
High speed video *When Creative Video Mode is selected.
- MP4**[4K] 3840x2160: 30p, 100Mbps (Sensor output is 60fps / 50fps / 48fps)
- MP4**[Full HD] 1920x1080: 30p, 20Mbps (Sensor output is 180fps / 150fps)
- Continuous recordable time (Motion picture): AVCHD [FHD/50p]: Approx. 130 min (rear monitor), 120 min (LVF) with H-FS12060, Approx. 120 min (rear monitor), 110 min (LVF) with H-ES12060/AVCHD [FHD/50i]: Approx. 130 min (rear monitor), 120 min (LVF) with H-FS12060, Approx. 120 min (rear monitor), 120 min (LVF) with H-ES12060/MP4 [4K/60p, 4K/50p]: Approx. 120 min (rear monitor), 110 min (LVF) with H-FS12060, Approx. 110 min (rear monitor), 110 min (LVF) with H-ES12060/MP4 [4K/30p, 4K/25p]: Approx. 130 min (rear monitor), 120 min (LVF) with H-FS12060, Approx. 130 min (rear monitor), 120 min (LVF) with H-ES12060
- Actual recordable time (Motion picture) : AVCHD [FHD/50p]: Approx. 65 min (rear monitor), 60 min (LVF) with H-FS12060, Approx. 60 min (rear monitor), 55 min (LVF) with H-ES12060/AVCHD [FHD/50i]: Approx. 65 min (rear monitor), 60 min (LVF) with H-FS12060, Approx. 60 min (rear monitor), 60 min (LVF) with H-ES12060/MP4 [4K/60p, 4K/50p]: Approx. 60 min (rear monitor), 55 min (LVF) with H-FS12060, Approx. 55 min (rear monitor), 55 min (LVF) with H-ES12060/MP4 [4K/30p, 4K/25p]: Approx. 65 min (rear monitor), 60 min (LVF) with H-FS12060, Approx. 65 min (rear monitor), 60 min (LVF) with H-ES12060
- WiFi: Wi-Fi2.4GHz (STA/AP) (IEEE802.11b/g/n)/Wi-Fi5GHz (STA) (IEEE 802.11a/n/ac) *5GHz Wi-Fi is not available in some countries. /1-13, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140 ch
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth® v4.2 (Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE))
- QR code connection / Password-less connection: Yes / Yes (ON / OFF selectable)
- Type: OLED Live View Finder (3,680k dots)
- Field of view: Approx. 100%
- Magnification: Approx. 1.66x / 0.83x (35mm camera equivalent) with 50 mm lens at infinity; -1.0 m-1
- Eye point: Approx. 21 mm from eyepiece lens
- Diopter adjustment: -4.0 - +3.0 (dpt)
- Eye sensor: Yes
- Display speed: 120fps / 60fps
- Type: Contrast AF system
- DFD technology: Yes
- Post Focus: Yes
- Focus Stacking: Yes
- Focus mode: AFS (Single) / AFF (Flexible) / AFC (Continuous) / MF
- AF mode: Face/Eye Detection / Tracking / 225-Area / Custom Multi / 1-Area / Pinpoint/(Full area touch is available) (Scalable AF frame size and flexible AF position)
- AF detective range: EV -4 - 18 (ISO100 equivalent)
- AF assist lamp: Yes
- AF lock: Yes (AF/AE LOCK button)
- AF custom setting: AF Sensitivity, AF Area Switching Sensitivity, Moving Object Prediction
- Others: One Shot AF, Shutter AF, Half Press Release, Quick AF, Continuous AF (during motion picture recording), Eye Sensor AF, AF-Point Scope Setting, AF+MF, MF Assist, Touch MF Assist, Focus Peaking, Touch AF/AE Function, Touch Pad AF, Touch Shutter
- Light metering system: 1,728-zone multi-pattern sensing system
- Light metering mode: Multiple / Center Weighted / Spot
- Metering range: EV 0 - 18 （F2.0 lens, ISO100 equivalent)
- Exposure mode Program AE, Aperture Priority AE, Shutter Priority AE, Manual
- ISO sensitivity (Standard Output Sensitivity): Still image: Auto / Intelligent ISO / 100 (Extended) / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600 / 3200 / 6400 / 12800 / 25600 (Changeable to 1/3 EV step)/Creative Video Mode: Auto / 100 (Extended) / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600 / 3200 / 6400 / 12800 (Changeable to 1/3 EV step)
- Exposure compensation: 1/3 EV step ±5EV (±3EV for motion picture)
- AE lock: Yes (AF/AE LOCK button)
- White balance: AWB / AWBc / Daylight / Cloudy / Shade / Incandescent / Flash / White Set 1, 2, 3, 4 / Colour temperature setting 1, 2, 3, 4
- White balance adjustment: Blue/Amber bias, Magenta/Green bias
- Colour temperature setting: 2500-10000K in 100K
- Type: Focal-plane shutter
- Shutter speed: Still image: Bulb (Max. 30 minutes), 1/8,000 - 60/Electronic first curtain shutter: Bulb (Max. 30 minutes), 1/2,000 - 60/Electronic shutter: 1/32,000 - 1/Motion picture: 1/16,000 - 1/25
- Shutter life: Approx. 200,000 images
- Self-timer: 10sec, 3 images / 2sec / 10sec
- Remote control: Remote control with Bulb function by DMW-RSL1 (sold separately)
- AE bracket: 3, 5, 7 images in 1/3, 2/3 or 1 EV step, max. ±3 EV, single/burst
- Aperture Bracket: 3, 5 or all positions in 1 EV step
- Focus Bracket: 1 to 999 images, focus steps can be set in 10 levels
- White balance bracket: 3 images in blue/amber axis or in magenta/green axis, colour temperature setting
- Burst speed: [Mechanical shutter / Electronic first curtain shutter]AFS/MF: H: 12 frames/sec, M: 7 frames/sec (with Live View), L: 2 frames/sec (with Live View) *When H-ES12060 is used./[Mechanical shutter / Electronic first curtain shutter]AFF/AFC: H: 9 frames/sec (with Live View), M: 7 frames/sec (with Live View), L: 2 frames/sec (with Live View) *When H-ES12060 is used./[Electronic shutter]AFS/MF: SH2: 60 frames/sec, SH1: 20 frames/sec, H: 12 frames/sec, M: 7 frames/sec (with Live View), L: 2 frames/sec (with Live View)/[Electronic shutter]AFF/AFC: SH2: 20 frames/sec, SH1: 20 frames/sec, H: 9 frames/sec (with Live View), M: 7 frames/sec (with Live View), L: 2 frames/sec (with Live View)
- Number of recordable images: [H/M/L] More than approx. 60 images (when there are RAW files with the particular speed.)/[H/M/L] More than approx. 600 images (when there are no RAW files and using a card with SD Speed Class with ""UHS-II UHS Speed Class 3 (U3)"".)/(depending on memory card size, battery power, picture size, and compression)/[SH2/SH1]Approx. 50 images/(depending on memory card size, battery power, picture size, and compression)
6K PHOTO** / 4K PHOTO**
- Burst speed: [6K PHOTO] 30 frames/sec/ [4K PHOTO] 60 frames/sec, 30 frames/sec
- Exif information: Yes (Each JPEG image cropped out of the 6K/4K burst file complies with EXIF.)
- Marking function: Yes (in 6K/4K Burst (S/S) mode)
- Time Lapse Shot: Yes
- Stop Motion Animation: Yes
- Flash type: TTL External Flash (sold separately)
- Flash Mode: Auto*, Auto/Red-eye Reduction*, Forced On, Forced On/Red-eye Reduction, Slow Sync., Slow Sync. / Red-eye Reduction, Forced Off *For iA, iA+ only.
- Synchronization speed: Less than 1/250 second
- Flash output adjustment: 1/3EV step ±3EV
- Flash synchronization: 1st Curtain Sync., 2nd Curtain Sync.
- Synchronization for flash dimming and exposure compensation: Yes
- Wireless control: Yes (When using DMW-FL200L / FL360L / FL580L (sold separately)), Wireless Channel: 1ch/2ch/3ch/4ch
- Flash sync socket: Yes
- Silent Mode: Yes
- Direction Detection Function: Yes
- Digital zoom: 2x, 4x
- Extra Tele Conversion: Still image: Max. 2x/4K PHOTO: 1.6x (4:3), 1.5x (3:2), 1.4x (16:9, 1:1)/Motion picture: 2.7x (FHD), 1.4x (4K)
- Other functions: Level Gauge, Real-time Histogram, Guide Lines (3 patterns), Center Marker, Highlight display (Still image / motion picture), Zebra pattern (Still image / motion picture)
- REC: Wi-Fi / Q.MENU / Video Record / LVF/Monitor Switch / LVF/Monitor Disp. Style / AF-Point Scope / AF/AE LOCK / AF-ON / Preview / One Push AE / Touch AE / Level Gauge / Focus Area Set / Zoom Control / 1 Shot RAW+JPG / 1 Shot Spot Metering / 1 Shot 6K/4K PHOTO / Operation Lock / Dial Operation Switch / Destination Slot / Photo Style / Filter Select / Aspect Ratio / Picture Size / Quality / AFS/AFF / Metering Mode / Burst Shot Setting / 6K/4K PHOTO / Self Timer / High Resolution Mode / Bracket / Highlight Shadow / i. Dynamic / i. Resolution / Min. Shtr Speed / Post Focus / HDR / Shutter Type / Flash Mode / Flash Adjust. / Wireless Flash Setup / Ex. Tele Conv. / Digital Zoom / Stabilizer / I.S. Lock (Video) / 4K Live Cropping / Motion Pic. Set / Picture Mode in Rec. / Mic Level Adj. / Mic. Directivity Adjust / Silent Mode / Peaking / Histogram / Guide Line / Zebra Pattern / Monochrome Live View / Constant Preview / Rec Area / Step Zoom / Zoom Speed / Night Mode / ON/OFF of each item in White Balance / ON/OFF of each item in Photo Style / AF Mode/MF / Rec/Playback Switch / Off / Restore to Default
- PLAY: Wi-Fi / LVF/Monitor Switch / Rec/Playback Switch / Slot Change / 6K/4K Photo Play / Delete Single / Protect / Rating 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 / RAW Processing / 6K/4K PHOTO Bulk Saving / Copy / Night Mode / Off / Restore to Default
- Fn LEVER: AF Mode / Quality / Photo Style / Long Shtr NR / Stabilizer / 6K/4K PHOTO (Pre-Burst) / Self Timer / Silent Mode / Shutter Type / Bracket / Touch Screen / Touch Pad AF / Auto Review (Photo) / Peaking / Night Mode / Front/Rear/Control Dial Lock / Off / Restore to Default
- PHOTO STYLE: Standard / Vivid / Natural / Monochrome / L. Monochrome / Scenery / Portrait / Custom 1, 2, 3, 4 / Cinelike D / Cinelike V
- CREATIVE CONTROL: Expressive / Retro / Old Days / High Key / Low Key / Sepia / Monochrome / Dynamic Monochrome / Rough Monochrome* / Silky Monochrome* / Impressive Art / High Dynamic / Cross Process / Toy Effect / Toy Pop / Bleach Bypass / Miniature Effect / Soft Focus* / Fantasy / Star Filter* / One Point Color / Sunshine*/*For photos only.
- Playback mode: 30-thumbnail display, 12-thumbnail display, Calendar display, Zoomed playback (Max. 16x), Slideshow (All / Picture Only / Video Only, duration & effect is selectable), Playback Mode (Normal / Picture Only / Video Only), Protect, Rating, Title Edit, Face Recognition Edit, RAW Processing, 6K/4K PHOTO Bulk Saving, 6K/4K PHOTO Noise Reduction, Light Composition, Clear Retouch, Text Stamp, Copy, Resize, Cropping, Rotate, Video Divide, Time Lapse Video, Stop Motion Video, Rotation Display, Picture Sort, Delete Confirmation, Creating Still Pictures from a Motion Picture
IMAGE PROTECTION / ERASE
- Protection: Single / Multi or Cancel
- Erase: Single / Multi / All / Except Rating
- Direct Print: PictBridge compatible
- USB: USB 3.0 Micro-B, SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Gen 1
- HDMI***: HDMI TypeA / VIERA Link/Video: Auto / 4K/50p / 4K/25p / 1080p / 1080i / 720p / 576p/Audio: Stereo/Monitor-through: 4:2:2 8bit (Except for [4K/60p]/[4K/50p]) / 4:2:0 8bit
- Audio video output: No
- Remote input: φ2.5mm for remote
- External microphone input: φ3.5mm for external microphone/Stereo/Lens Auto/Shotgun/Super Shotgun/Manual is selectable when attaching DMW-MS2 (sold separately).
- Headphone output: φ3.5mm for headphone
- Microphone: Stereo, Wind Noise Canceller: OFF / Low* / Standard / High *When attaching DMW-MS2 (sold separately).
- Speaker : Monaural
- SD card slot: Slot 1, Slot 2
- OSD language: Japanese, English, German, French, Italian, Spanish
- Recording: LUMIX Tether/・ This software is used to control a Panasonic digital camera from a PC. It allows you to change various settings of the camera, perform remote recording, and save remotely recorded images to the PC. Check the site below to download and install the software. /http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/soft/download/d_lumixtether.html (For Windows / Mac)
- Playback / Editing: ・ The software to edit and playback images on computer is not bundled with this camera. To do this, PHOTOfunSTUDIO 10.0PE is available for download at Panasonic website using computer connected to the Internet. / http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/soft/download/d_pfs10pe.html (For Windows)/・ The software to process RAW file on computer is not bundled with this camera. To do this, SILKYPIX Developer Studio is available for download at Ichikawa Soft Laboratory's website using computer connected to the Internet. /http://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/p/ (For Windows / Mac)
- Standard accessories: DC-G9L Kit:
- Standard accessories: Battery Charger (AC Adaptor, USB connection Cable included), Battery Pack, Body Cap, Hot Shoe Cover, Eye Cup, Flash Syncro Socket Cap, Cover for the Battery Grip Connector, USB Connection Cable, Shoulder Strap, Lens Cap, Lens Hood, Lens Rear Cap
- Standard accessories: ・ The DC-G9 Operating Instructions for advanced features is available for downloaded at Panasonic LUMIX Customer Support Site using PC, smartphone or tablet connected to the Internet.
- Battery: Li-ion Battery Pack (7.2V, 1860mAh, 14Wh) (included)/USB power supply, USB power charging
- Battery life (CIPA standard): Approx. 400 images (rear monitor), 380 images (LVF), 920 images (Power Save LVF mode*) with H-FS12060/Approx. 380 images (rear monitor), 360 images (LVF), 890 images (Power Save LVF mode*) with H-ES12060/* Under the test conditions specified by Panasonic based on CIPA standard. When the time to get in the sleep mode is set to 1 sec.
- Battery grip: DMW-BGG9 (sold separately)
DIMENSIONS / WEIGHT
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 136.9 x 97.3 x 91.6 mm / 5.39 x 3.83 x 3.61 inch (excluding protrusions)
- Weight: Approx. 658g / 1.45 lb (SD card x 1, Battery, Body)/Approx. 586g / 1.30 lb (Body only)/Approx. 868g / 1.91 lb (SD card x 1, Battery, H-FS12060 lens included)/Approx. 978g / 2.16 lb (SD card x 1, Battery, H-ES12060 lens included)
- Operating temperature****: -10oC to 40oC (14oF to 104oF)
- Operating humidity: 10%RH to 80％RH
- Lens Name: LEICA DG VARIO-ELMARIT 12-60mm / F2.8-4.0 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S.
- Lens Construction: 14 elements in 12 groups (4 aspherical lenses, 2 ED lenses)
- Nano Surface Coating: Yes
- Mount: Micro Four Thirds mount
- Optical Image Stabilizer: Yes (POWER O.I.S.)
- Focal Length: f=12-60mm (35mm camera equivalent 24-120mm)
- Aperture Type: 9 diaphragm blades / Circular aperture diaphragm
- Maximum Aperture: F2.8 (Wide) - F4.0 (Tele)
- Minimum Aperture: F22
- Closest Focusing Distance: 0.20m/0.66ft (at focal length 12mm) / 0.24m/0.79ft (at focal length 60mm)
- Maximum magnification: Approx. 0.3x / 0.6x (35mm camera equivalent)
- Diagonal Angle of View: 84°(Wide) - 20°(Tele)
- Weatherproof: Splash/Dust/Freezeproof
- Filter Size: φ62mm / 2.44inch
- Max. Diameter: φ68.4mm / 2.69inch
- Overall Length: Approx. 86mm / 3.39inch (from the tip of the lens to the base side of the lens mount)
- Weight [g]: Approx. 320g (excluding lens cap, lens rear cap and lens hood)
- Weight [oz]: Approx.11.29oz (excluding lens cap, lens rear cap and lens hood)
- ** About motion picture recording / 6K PHOTO/4K PHOTO recording
- 6K PHOTO is a high-speed burst shooting function that cuts a still image out of a 4:3 or 3:2 video footage with approx. 18-megapixel (approx. 6000 x 3000 effective pixel count) that the 6K image manages.
- Use a card with SD Speed Class with "Class 4" or higher when recording motion pictures in [AVCHD] or [MP4(under 28Mbps)].
- Use a card with SD Speed Class with "UHS-I / UHS-II UHS Speed Class 3 (U3)" when recording motion pictures with [MP4] in [4K] [High Speed Video] or [6K PHOTO/4K PHOTO].
- (SD speed class is the speed standard regarding continuous writing.)
- Recording stops when the continuous recording time exceeds 10 minutes with [MP4] in [4K/60p] [4K/50p] [4K/High Speed Video] [6K PHOTO] [4K PHOTO/60fps].
- Recording stops when the continuous recording time exceeds 29 minutes and 59 seconds with [AVCHD] in [FHD] and [MP4] in [4K/30p] [4K/25p] [4K/24p] [FHD].
- MP4 motion pictures with [MP4] in [4K]:
- When using an SDHC memory card: You can continue recording without interruption even if the file size exceeds 4 GB, but the motion picture file will be divided and recorded/played back separately.
- When using an SDXC memory card: You can record a motion picture in a single file.
- MP4 motion pictures with [MP4] in [FHD]:
- You can continue recording without interruption even if the file size exceeds 4 GB, but the motion picture file will be divided and recorded/played back separately.
- When the ambient temperature is high or continuous recording is performed, the camera may stop the recording to protect itself. Wait until the camera cools down.
- *** For [4K/60p] [4K/50p] video output, use an HDMI2.0 cable that has the HDMI logo on it, and that is described as"4K compatible".
- **** The camera may stop recording when used in lower or higher than recommended operating temperature: -10 to 40 degrees.