Touch the stars. Roost with eagles. The sky is no longer the limit when you have an extraordinary 125x optical zoom. Capture sharp photos and videos of subjects that were out of reach—until now.
Moonscapes. Wildlife. Distant aircraft. The 125x optical zoom is the world’s biggest.¹ Its focal-length range of 24–3000mm puts amazing within your reach.² The 250x Dynamic Fine Zoom digitally extends the upper zoom limit to an incredible 6000 mm.² ³ Take in the whole scene with a wide-angle composition or zoom in on the tiniest details. Even those on the surface of the moon.
Enjoy sharp results even when shooting at ultra-high-telephoto focal lengths. Bright f/2.8-8 NIKKOR lens, 16 MP sensor, and RAW support. The sensitive backside-illuminated CMOS sensor and bright f/2.8-8 NIKKOR lens give you the freedom to shoot in low light. Nikon’s powerful EXPEED image-processing engine and advanced lens technologies minimise distortion even at high zoom. The fast autofocus system lets you shoot action at up to 7 fps. And RAW support lets you save and export uncompressed image files to your processing/editing program of choice.
Compose incredible shots with the camera’s high-resolution electronic viewfinder and large vari-angle monitor. The ultra-high-definition (approx. 2,360k-dot) electronic viewfinder gives a clear, detailed view of your shot even in bright conditions. And the bright 3.2-in 921k-dot LCD monitor can be tilted and twisted in almost any direction. An eye sensor automatically switches from monitor shooting to viewfinder shooting the instant you raise the camera to your face.
Super-telephoto 4K movies
Capture stellar 4K/UHD video footage with stereo sound. Get up close to the rocket launch. Film the eaglet’s first flight from a distant hide. Easily record 4K/UHD 30p footage, or Full HD (1080p) video at frame rates of up to 60p. The camera supports clean HDMI out, so you can output videos to an external monitor during recording. And the camera’s built-in microphone jack allows use of an external microphone for sharper sound. In-camera movie functions include Superlapse, which lets you create a fast-motion sequence of changing landscapes and unique perspectives. And Time-lapse is perfect for recording skyscapes, star trails, and the passage of the moon across the night sky.
Nikon’s Vibration Reduction compensates for camera shake. Get steady photos and video footage, even when shooting handheld at telephoto lengths. Nikon’s Dual Detect Optical Vibration Reduction (VR) system lets you shoot up to five shutter stops slower than would otherwise be possible.⁴ The effects of camera shake are minimised even in low-light situations, and you can capture sharper stills and movies without under-exposing. VR Active mode delivers a more stable viewfinder and monitor image, which is ideal when you’re on the move. Whether it’s a condor spotted from the back of the jeep or a breaching whale seen from the deck of the boat—you’ll compose the perfect shot.
Share the wonder. Stay connected via SnapBridge.
Keep your camera connected to your smart device to sync incredible photos as you shoot, then share them instantly. Use your smart device to shoot remotely. Nikon’s SnapBridge app keeps your camera constantly connected to your smart device via Bluetooth® Low Energy.⁵ Sync photos to your device as you shoot, without having to reconnect each time. Transfer movies manually whenever you want via the camera’s built-in Wi-Fi®.⁶ SnapBridge updates your camera’s location and date via the GPS on your smart device, making it easy to track your telephoto odysseys. And the app lets you use your smart device to operate the camera’s zoom or release the shutter.
Always find your target
A large grip and well-positioned controls make it easy to adjust the zoom quickly and smoothly. No matter what the sky reveals, you’ll be ready. This camera’s generous grip ensures a stable hold and the side zoom control lets you extend the lens with your thumb. A simple press of the snap-back zoom button will retract the lens to a wider angle, making it easy to pick up subjects that have moved out of shot. This COOLPIX is also less than a quarter of the weight of an SLR camera with super-telephoto lens attached. Weighing just 1.4 kg, it’s much easier to manage when shooting handheld.
- Type - Compact digital camera
- Effective pixels - 16.0 million (Image processing may reduce the number of effective pixels.)
- Image sensor - 1/2.3-in. type CMOS, total pixels: approx. 16.79 million
- Lens - NIKKOR lens with 125x optical zoom
- Focal length - 4.3 to 539 mm (angle of view equivalent to that of 24 to 3000 mm lens in 35 mm  format)
- F-number - f/2.8 to 8
- Lens construction - 17 elements in 12 groups (5 ED lens elements and 1 super ED lens element)
- Magnification - Up to 4x (angle of view equivalent to that of approx. 12000 mm lens in 35 mm  format); Up to 3.6x when recording movies with 2160/30p (4K UHD) or 2160/25p (4K UHD)
- Vibration reduction - Lens shift (still images), combination of lens shift and electronic VR (movies)
- Autofocus - Contrast-detect AF
- Focus range - [W]: Approx. 30 cm (1 ft) to infinity, [T]: Approx. 7.0 m (23 ft) to infinity, Macro close-up mode:: Approx. 1 cm (0.4 in.) to infinity (wide-angle position), Approx. 7.0 m (23 ft) to infinity (telephoto position), (All distances measured from center of front surface of lens)
- AF-area mode - Target finding AF, face priority, manual (spot), manual (normal), manual (wide), subject tracking
- Viewfinder - Electronic viewfinder, 1 cm (0.39-in.), approx. 2359k-dot OLED with the diopter adjustment function (-3 to +3 m-¹)
- Frame coverage - Shooting mode: approx. 99% horizontal and vertical (compared to actual picture); Playback mode: Approx. 100% horizontal and vertical (compared to actual picture)
- Monitor - 8.1 cm (3.2-in.) diagonal; Approx. 921k-dot (RGB), wide viewing angle TFT LCD with anti-reflection coating and 5-level brightness adjustment, vari-angle TFT LCD
- Storage media - SD, SDHC, SDXC
- File system - DCF and Exif 2.31 compliant
- Storage file formats - Still images: JPEG, RAW (NRW) (Nikon’s own format); Movies: MP4 (Video: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, Audio: AAC stereo)
- Image size (pixels) - 16 M 4608 x 3456, 8 M 3264 x 2448, 4 M 2272 x 1704, 2 M 1600 x 1200, 16:9 12 M 4608 x 2592, 3:2 14 M 4608 x 3072, 1:1 12 M 3456 x 3456
- Movie - frame size (pixels) and frame rate - 2160/30p (4K UHD), 2160/25p (4K UHD), 1080/30p, 1080/25p, 1080/60p, 1080/50p, 720/30p, 720/25p, 720/60p, 720/50p, HS 480/4x, HS 720/2x, HS 1080/0.5x
- Movie - ISO sensitivity - ISO1001 to 1600
- Exposure metering - Matrix, center-weighted, spot
- Exposure control - Programmed auto exposure with flexible program, shutter-priority auto, aperture-priority auto, manual, exposure bracketing, exposure compensation (–2.0 to +2.0 EV in steps of 1/3 EV)
- Shutter type - Mechanical and CMOS electronic shutter
- Shutter speed - 1/40002 to 1 s, 1/40002 to 30 s (when ISO sensitivity is 100 in M mode)
- Flash sync speed - Synchronizes with all shutter speeds
- Self-timer - Can be selected from 10 s and 3 s
- Aperture - Electronically-controlled 7-blade iris diaphragm
- Aperture range - 10 steps of 1/3 EV (W) (A, M mode)
- Flash range (approx.) - ISO sensitivity: Auto, [W]: Approx. 0.3 to 12 m (12 in. to 41 ft) Approx. 5.0–8.0 m (17–26 ft) (focal length equivalent to that of 2000 mm lens in 35 mm  format); When focal length is equivalent to that of 3000 mm lens in 35 mm  format: Approx. 7.0 to 8.2 m (23 to 26 ft) (ISO sensitivity: 3200), Approx. 7.0 to 11 m (23 to 38 ft) (ISO sensitivity: 6400)
- Flash control - TTL auto flash with monitor preflashes
- Exposure compensation - In steps of 1/3 EV in the range between –2 and +2 EV
- Accessory shoe - ISO 518 hot-shoe with sync and data contacts and safety lock
- USB - Micro-USB connector (Do not use any USB cable other than the included UC-E21 USB Cable.), Hi-Speed USB Supports Direct Print (PictBridge)
- HDMI output - HDMI micro connector (Type D)
- External microphone connector - Stereo mini-pin jack (3.5 mm diameter; plug-in power supported)
- Accessory terminal(s) - Compatible with the following accessories (available separately): MC-DC2 Remote Cord WR-R10/WR-1 Wireless Remote Controller
- Wi-Fi (Wireless LAN) standards - IEEE 802.11b/g (standard wireless LAN protocol)
- Wi-Fi (Wireless LAN) operating frequency - 2412 to 2462 MHz (1 to 11 channels)
- Wi-Fi (Wireless LAN) maximum output power - 9.2 dBm (EIRP)
- Wi-Fi (Wireless LAN) security - Open system, WPA2-PSK
- Wi-Fi (Wireless LAN) communications protocols - Bluetooth Specification Version 4.1
- Bluetooth standards - Operating frequency: Bluetooth: 2402 to 2480 MHz, Bluetooth Low Energy: 2402 to 2480 MHz
- Power sources - One EN-EL20a Rechargeable Li-ion Battery (included), EH-5b/EH-5c AC Adapter, requires EP-5C Power Connector (available separately)
- Charging time - Approx. 3 h (when using EH-73P/EH-73PCH Charging AC Adapter and when no charge remains)
- Battery life - Approx. 250 shots when using EN-EL20a3
- Actual battery life for movie recording - Approx. 1 h 20 min when using EN-EL20a34
- Tripod socket - 1/4 (ISO 1222)
- Dimensions (W x H x D) - Approx. 146.3 x 118.8 x 181.3 mm (5.8 x 4.7 x 7.2 in.) (excluding projections)
- Weight - Approx. 1415 g (3 lb 2 oz) (including battery and memory card)
- Operating environment temperature - 0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F)
- Operating environment humidity - 85% or less (no condensation)
- LC-77 Lens Cap
- EN-EL20a Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
- EH-73P Charging AC Adapter56
- UC-E21 USB Cable
- HB-CP1 Bayonet Lens Hood
|Lens(es) included:||NIKKOR 24mm-3 mm f/2.8-8 Lens|
|Memory Card Type:||SD, SDHC, SDXC|
|Product Type:||Bridge Camera|
|Sensor:||1/2.3 Inch CMOS Sensor|
|Zoom:||125 x Optical Zoom|